The rice Os03g0786400 was reported as DST in 2013 by researchers from China  .
- Os03g0786400 <=> DST, OsDST
- The zinc finger transcription factor DROUGHT AND SALT TOLERANCE (DST) directly regulates OsCKX2 expression in the reproductive meristem.
- DST-directed expression of OsCKX2 regulates CK accumulation in the SAM and, therefore, controls the number of the reproductive organs.
- A semidominant allele of the DST gene, perturbs DST-directed regulation of OsCKX2 expression and elevates CK levels in the reproductive SAM, leading to increased meristem activity, enhanced panicle branching, and a consequent increase of grain number.
- DST is a unique regulator of reproductive meristem activity.
- DST may be explored to facilitate the genetic enhancement of grain production in rice and other small grain cereals     .
- DST reg1 Enhances Grain Production in both indica and jopanic Rice.
- All transgenic plants overexpressing a wild-type DST allele (DSTREG1) showed reduced plant stature with less panicle branches and decreased grain number.
- In contrast, the DST RNA interference (RNAi) transgenic plants showed increased panicle branches and enhanced grain number.
- Similarly, transgenic plants overexpressing the reg1 mutant allele of DST (DST reg1 ) had increased panicle branches and produced more grains.
- DST is located in the nucleus with transcriptional activation and it will express momentarily down under the condition of salt stress and osmotic stress, then recovered to pre-treatment levels.
Labs working on this gene
- State Key Laboratory of Plant Genomics, National Center for Plant Gene Research, Institute of Genetics and Developmental Biology, Chinese Academy of Sciences, Beijing 100101, China;
- State Key Laboratory of Hybrid Rice, China National Hybrid Rice Research and Development Center, Changsha 410125, China;
- State Key Laboratory of Rice Biology, China National Rice Research Institute, Chinese Academy of Agricultural Sciences, Hangzhou 310006, China; * Key Laboratory of Analytical Chemistry for Biology and Medicine (Ministry of Education), Department of Chemistry, Wuhan University, Wuhan 430072, China
- Shuyu Li;Bingran Zhao;Dingyang Yuan; Rice zinc finger protein DST enhances grain production through controlling Gn1a/OsCKX2 expression; Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, 2013, 110(8): 3167-3172
- Xin-Yuan Huang;Dai-Yin Chao; A previously unknown zinc finger protein, DST, regulates drought and salt tolerance in rice via stomatal aperture control; GENES & DEVELOPMENT, 2009, 23(15): 1805-1817
- Wolfe SA, Nekludova L, Pabo CO(2000) DNA recognition by Cys(2)His(2) zinc finger proteins. Annu Rev Biophys Biomol Struct 29:183–212.
- Sakamoto H, Maruyama K, Sakuma Y, Meshi T, Iwabuchi M, Shinozaki K, Yamaguchi-Shinozaki K(2004) Arabidopsis Cys2/His2-type zinc-finger proteins function as transcription repressors under drought, cold, and high-salinity stress conditions. Plant Physiol 136:2734–2746.
- Lin R, Ding L, Casola C, Ripoll DR, Feschotte C, Wang H(2007) Transposase-derived transcription factors regulate light signaling in Arabidopsis. Science 318:1302–1305.