Please input one-sentence summary here.
- Os03g0327800 encoding a Oryza sativa NAC-like, activated by apetala3/pistillata (OsNAP). Overexpression of OsNAP significantly promoted senescence, whereas knockdown of OsNAP produced a marked delay of senescence, confirming the role of this gene in the development of rice senescence.
- ABA Participates in Leaf Senescence and the expression of OsNAP can be induced by ABA. ABA-mediated leaf senescence might be dependent on the modulation of OsNAP expression, which, in turn, either directly or indirectly regulates the expression of senescence-associated genes (SAGs). Also, this is a feedback mechanism between ABA and OsNAP, OsNAP can inhibit the expression of key ABA biosynthesis genes.
- OsNAP is expressed preferentially in the leaf blade, leaf sheath, and endosperm with a low, but still detectable, level of expression in the root, culm,
and young panicle.
- OsNAP transcripts were higher in old, senescing leaves than in young, green leaves.
- OsNAP expression in flag leaves showed that, although the number of OsNAP transcripts increased gradually before heading, it increased dramatically with the beginning of grain filling.(The red arrow indicates the flowering time)
- OsNAP expression decreased gradually from the tip to the base of a fully expanded leaf.
- ABA can induce the expression of OsNAP, and in ABA biosynthetic mutants (aba1 and aba2) the expression is decreased.
Mutation and Phenotype
ps1-D is a dominant mutation caused by the T-DNA insertion.
PS1 contains a typical NAC structure at the N terminus. It belongs to the Va (1)/NAP subfamily of NAC proteins, which has three members in Arabidopsis, six members in rice, and five members in maize. Detailed domain analysis showed that the C-terminal region (amino acids 181–392) possessed high transcriptional activation activity,fragment containing subdomains 3 (amino acids 64–100) and 4 (amino acids 100–142) of the NAC motif showed stronger repression activity, whereas subdomains 1 and 2 (amino acids 1–64) and 5 (amino acids 157–181) exhibited weaker repression activity.
after grain filling, ps1-D mutants had an accelerated yellowing phenotype, displaying senescence 7–10 d earlier than the wild-type plants. In addition, after flowering, ps1-D mutants also exhibited faster chlorophyll degradation than the wild type plants.
OsNAP RNAi lines can delay the senescence.
- Primers used in this study for molecular cloning of PS1
- Primers used to generate DNA constructs
Labs working on this gene
- State Key Laboratory of Plant Genomics and National Center for Plant Gene Research (Beijing), Institute of Genetics and Developmental Biology,
Chinese Academy of Sciences
- University of Chinese Academy of Sciences, Beijing 100049, China; and cSchool of Agriculture and Food Science, Zhejiang Agricultural and Forestry University, Hangzhou
Chengzhen Liang, Yiqin Wang, Yana Zhu, et al. OsNAP connects abscisic acid and leaf senescence by fine-tuning abscisic acid biosynthesis and directly targeting senescence-associated genes in rice. PNAS, 2014