OsGL1-4 is a member of the GL1-like genes in rice.
OsGL1-4, OsGL1-5,OsGL1-6, and OsGL1-7 are closely related to Arabidopsis CER1 that is involved in cuticular wax biosynthesis.
- The genes OsGL1-4 and OsGL1-7 had no or very faint expression in all the samples. OsGL1-4 was induced by ABA treatment, and the highest induction was at 12 h after the treatment.
- With cold treatment, OsGL1-1 and OsGL1-4 showed strong induction at both 12 and 24 h after treatment, whereas OsGL1-6 showed high expression at 12 h but dramatically decreased expression at 24 h.
OsGL1-4, OsGL1-5,OsGL1-6, and OsGL1-7 were classified into group II and they have low sequence similarity(30%~40%). OsGL1-4, OsGL1-5, and OsGL1-7 are very similar to CER1 indicating that they may be CER1 homologues in rice.
The outermost surfaces of plants are covered with an epicuticular wax layer that provides a primary waterproof barrier and protection against different environmental stresses. Glossy 1 (GL1) is one of the reported genes controlling wax synthesis.
Labs working on this gene
- National Key Laboratory of Crop Genetic Improvement and National Center of Plant Gene Research (Wuhan), Huazhong Agricultural University, 430070 Wuhan, China
- Department of Genetic Engineering and Biotechnology, University of Rajshahi, Rajshahi 6205, Bangladesh
- Islam M A, Du H, Ning J, et al. Characterization of Glossy1-homologous genes in rice involved in leaf wax accumulation and drought resistance[J]. Plant molecular biology, 2009, 70(4): 443-456.