The rice Os01g0177400 was reported as OsGA3ox2 in 2003  by researchers from Japan.
- Os01g0177400 <=> GA3OX2, GA3ox1, OsGA3ox2, d18,OsD18
- OsGA3ox2 (D18) encodes GA 3-oxidase.
- OsGA3ox2 is important in controlling bioactive GA synthesis for shoot elongation but not for reproductive development.
The rice d18 mutant is a severe GA-deficient dwarf, but its flower and grain development are not affected。
- In wild-type rice, expression of OsGA3ox2 is regulated by the endogenous bioactive GA content.
- Indeed, the OsGA3ox2 transcript was upregulated by uniconazole (an inhibitor of GA biosynthesis) treatment and downregulated by bioactive GA 3 application —as was the transcript of the green revolution rice gene, OsGA20ox2 (SD1), which encodes GA 20-oxidase 9.
You can also add sub-section(s) at will.
- Dwarfing is one of the most valuable traits in crop breeding, because it results in plants that are more resistant to damage by wind and rain (lodging resistant) and have stable increased yields.
- Dwarf mutants have been extensively characterized in many plant species. The endogenous phytohormone GA is one of several factors associated with the dwarf phenotype.
Labs working on this gene
- Field Production Science Center, The University of Tokyo, 1-1-1 Midoricyo, Nishi-Tokyo 188-0002, Japan.
- National Institute of Agrobiological Sciences, 2-1-2 Kannondai, Tsukuba, Ibaraki 305-8602, Japan.
- BioResource Center, RIKEN Tsukuba Institute, 3-1-1 Koyadai, Tsukuba, Ibaraki 305-0074, Japan.
- Bioscience and Biotechnology Center, Nagoya University, Furocyo, Chikusa, Nagoya, Aichi 464-8601, Japan.
- Institute of Agriculture and Forestry, University of Tsukuba, 1-1-1 Tennoudai, Tsukuba, Ibaraki 305-8572, Japan.
- Sakamoto T, Morinaka Y, Ishiyama K, Kobayashi M, Itoh H, Kayano T, Iwahori S, Matsuoka M, Tanaka H. Genetic manipulation of gibberellin metabolism in transgenic rice. Nat Biotechnol. 2003 Aug;21(8):909-13. Epub 2003 Jul 13. PubMed PMID: 12858182.